Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thrifty

I am a member of a few Triplet Forums and every few months the subject of our grocery bill total comes up.  After commenting that I spend $300-$400 a month for a family of 5, I get many inquires on how I do it.

I am not an extreme couponer. Actually I rarely use coupons.  What I do is shop the ads, stock up, buy the store brands and that's where I find my deals.  I have nothing against those who coupon but the grocery store I shop at(United Supermarkets) doesn't accept double or triple coupons.  For me it's just cheaper and less time consuming to purchase the store brand, over the brand with the coupon.  I actually enjoy the store brands over most name brands.

We have a large freezer and 2 small ones, so when meat, vegetables, fruit or bread are on sale I stock up.  If ground beef or chicken breasts are at their lowest sale price, I stock up.  I may spend more than my normal monthly amount but the following months tends to be less.  Starting tomorrow United Supermarket's ad has Pork Butt Roast for $.97 lb and I will stock up on this item.  My husband doesn't like roast BUT he loves my pulled pork BBQ sandwiches.  I found my FAVORITE pulled pork recipe on Aly's Sweet and Savory Eats and it is delicious.  There is even enough that I can freeze and eat at a later date. I have included the recipe under this post:)

When freezable fruits and vegetable are on sale I stock up on these too.  Here are the items I like freezing:

Carrots: I scrub and chop any large carrots into smaller pieces and then I store them in a gallon freezer bag, releasing all air from the baggie. Once the carrots thaw they are less crisp, making them still good to cook with but not as good to eat raw.

Peppers:  I wash, remove seeds, and slice into strips or chop(depending on how I use them). I store them in a freezer bag, releasing all air from the baggie.  I really like doing this when I find red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers on sale. I use them in tacos, burritos, meatloaf, fajitas...

Onions: I peal and chop each onion. I then wrap(half cup increments) and double freezer bag all the onions together.  You can also use an airtight, BPA free, plastic container.  If you don't your freezer will smell like onions. 

Blueberries/Blackberries/Raspberries: I just freeze them directly in a freezer baggie without washing first.  Washing can alter them.  Perfect for smoothies, pancakes, muffins...

Strawberries: I wash, slice and then store in freezer baggies.  I love these for strawberry shortcake.

Avacados; I have never tried to freeze avocados but here are some ways I'd like to try:
                   http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/02/freezing-avocados.html
                   http://www.pinksugarbowl.com/2012/01/over-ripe-avocados-dont-throw-them-out.html

Many websites recommend you "blanch" the fruit/veggies before freezing, to prevent them from sticking together.  I just skip this step.  When I pull the item out of the freezer I just bang the baggie against my counter top to break them up.  I have a busy enough schedule as it is I don't have time to blanch :)  There are other veggies you can freeze (potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkin, mushrooms, etc) but the above are the ones I have experience with.

Untied Supermarkets Ad: Feb 6th-12th
Fresh Baby Carrots $1.97 for a 2lb bag. 
Fresh Green Bell Peppers 2 for $1.00
Sweet Onions: $.99 lb




Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches

pork butt (I used 2.5 lb - but you can use whatever size needed for your family)
1 can Diet Pepsi
1/2 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Generally coat pork butt with Lawry's seasoning salt, don't be afraid to cover it all! Place in crock pot and pour in soda and barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. If you have a larger piece of meat, it will probably take longer. After 4 hours or so, take two forks and shred the meat into bite size chunks. Let it sit in the juice to soak up all that flavor. It can stay on warm in crock pot while serving, and can easily be reheated the next day. Serve on a kaiser roll and add more barbecue sauce if needed. 

 I wanted to let you all to know that The Doctor's show will be doing a feature multiple births tomorrow Wednesday, February 6th and then a feature on cochlear implants Thursday, February 7th.  I'll be watching both;)

Much Love,
Tanna

No comments: